Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Atheists, if your teenage child wished to join, or learn about, certain religions, would you encourage them??

Or discourage them?


And if you are a member of a certain religion, and your kids wanted to join, or learn of other religions, would you encourage them?





Thanks!Atheists, if your teenage child wished to join, or learn about, certain religions, would you encourage them??
Any child of mine would have been raised to ask questions. I would like to think that not only would they listen but they would question too. So no, I would not withhold info or the right to interact with others different from them.Atheists, if your teenage child wished to join, or learn about, certain religions, would you encourage them??
I have an entire religion curriculum planned for my daughter's home school. I have friends in many religions who have agreed to answer questions and take my daughter on visit to their houses of worship. I even have an invitation to Egypt with some Muslim friends. I intend to make sure she is well aware of the history of all religions as well as their modern views and practices.
I'm Wiccan... our kids go to a UU (multi-faith church) Sunday School there to learn about all different religions.





At the Hindu festival Diwali they made lamps and had some kind of spiced rice pudding and learned the Hindu creation story. At Passover, a Jewish man came up and they re-enacted the story of the Exodus in the classroom and held a seder. On Christmas eve, they went to a candlelight mass and heard the story of Jesus' birth. A few weeks ago a Sunni Muslim came in, taught them some chants and demonstrated a whirling dance, and they spent a few weeks learning about the Buddah and meditating and making mandalas.





My kids also take science classes and are encouraged to learn about evolution and other scientific theories as well.
I am a Buddhist, and have been since I was about 12. My daughter has followed me, one of my sons is a Christian, and my eldest son is currently searching for himself that which will best serve his needs. Yes, I did encourage them to find what makes them happiest, even if it is no religion at all.
being an atheist, if my son is interested he would pick up the books and do research on his own. I wouldn't encourage or discourage him from doing anything.





Since there is no religion in our household, my son has to do the work on his own since he ain't getting it from us.
I'm perfectly fine with it.





In fact, I've even STARTED teaching him about religion.





Of course, we've started with the gods and heroes of DEAD religions, like Thor and Hercules and Gilgamesh, so that he gets the point that they're just made-up stories.





I have every confidence that, by the time we get to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, he'll be able to ';connect the dots';...








EDIT: HAIRcut?!?!





I shaved my freaking HEAD, Apple!





Or as I like to think of it, I fired my hair before it had a chance to quit on me...
My kid would already know about them living in England, religious education is on the school curriculum, thats a lesson where kids are taught about all religions impartially and then encouraged to debate about them, while not making an assumption whether they are true or not.
Soleil, you got a hair cut... I think most atheists on here would be willing to allow their children to seek out their own beliefs when they are old enough to do so.





**Edit**


I know, LOL! I like it, btw! Good look for ya, I think.
I would encourage them to learn about other religions even attend a church meeting ,but I wouldn't encourage them to join any group.





I also would not disown them if they did join some religion that I do not believe in or approve of
i would encourage them to examine it rationally and objectively and then make a decision. i would not try to discourage or squelch their curiosity.
I wouldn't ';encourage'; them. Nor would I discourage them. I would, however, tell them the facts as I see them.





Last year my five year old thought Zeus and Uranus were cool. Who was I to tell him anything different?
If they reached teenage years without being about to think critically and ask for evidence of any claim then I've failed as a parent.





Critical thinking plus religious teaching can only result in a person being an atheist.
I would hope they would. That's the point of questioning and discovery. I'd be disappointed if they didn't want to find out how religions work and what they teach.
My parents, who are atheist, encourage me to follow what ever faith I feel best represents my beliefs. They want to be happy even if it means having different beliefs when it comes to god(s).





The Bard~
My offspring (like that's ever gonna happen) would know both sides of the story, in which case they'd be atheists.
I consider it a waste of time, so I wouldn't encourage it. But I wouldn't stop it either.
Learning and studying are never bad.
I would encourage my children to LEARN, not JOIN. Once they learn, joining wont be an issue.
yes, everyone to his own... i'd encourage them
Of course they should encourage them, if they can't save their own soul they should at least try to save their child's..

No comments:

Post a Comment