Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why so many unwanted (and usually teenage) pregnancies?

I lost my virginity as a teenager in 1990 and was WELL AWARE at the time of birth control methods and I used them correctly to avoid pregnancy. How is it in 2007, so many teenagers seem to have no idea what borth control is? Are they not taught what it is, how to get it and use it? Are they not aware that not using protection can also lead to std's? What is wrong in society that so many young girls are having babies when they are children themselves, or worse still, are having them aborted? Isn't it easier to use a condom then to abort an innocent baby? Sorry to rant but one cannot come onto this site without seeing some 16 year old asking for help because they didn't pay attention to sex education.Why so many unwanted (and usually teenage) pregnancies?
In 2003, as I was going through Sex Education, my teacher wrote ';condom'; on the board, and said that it's actually illegal for him to say that word, or teach it's method. The only method he could teach about was ABSTINENCE, and you know that doesn't work for hormone enraged teens lol





I was well aware of birth control, and my mom openly said that she would totally get me on it if I'd just come to her %26amp; ask. That's a big hard thing to do, and I got pregnant as a teenager. Luckily I was 18, and I currently have the cutest 2 year old, but it isn't easy.





But I'm totally with you, I'm wondering why I come on this site %26amp; there are teens TRYING to get pregnant beause they want a baby. They don't know what their in for. I wish their parents could see what they are willingly writing on the internet. I now work with teenage girls in state custody %26amp; we just had a ton of them come through that were pregnant... some as young as 14- it's sad.Why so many unwanted (and usually teenage) pregnancies?
your a dumb ******** whore wow you had sex hell long you dumb ****** pills dont work you dumb w hore you act like you know evey thing but your dumb as *****

Report Abuse



rubber is too expensive
Oh jeez, another one of these questions. Well instead of asking another question about it and ranting about it, why don't you do something about it? Adopt some children, open up a decent foster care, donate money to orphanges, etc etc... And also, don't blame the sex education class, it's not their job to raise children and tell them what's right and what's wrong, that's the parents job.
They don't think about the consequences. Society has made it acceptable (and easy) to be a teenage parent. There are programs that give money to teenage mothers for food, rent, transportation, health insurance, child care and a better education than un-pregnant teenagers.





Have you looked at all the assistance a teenage mother can get?





I used to work at a preschool (for 8 years)... The high school moms were better off than me! I went to school and got a BA and live pay check to pay check eating top romen... and they had a nice car, fridge full of food and their baby was wearing Puma shoes... all paid for by the government...





SOOOOO not cool!





I don't know what it is... I don't understand why so many of them don't just use a rubber... It would make the world a much healthy place! Planned Parenthood gives condoms out for free! You can get a 30 day supply every month... sigh... its just so wrong!
although i am not a teen anymore, i can clearly answer this question as i got pregnant when i was 15 and had my son at the age of 16. I knew of birth control/condoms etc. but had very very strict parents, and you cannot receive birth control without them finding out if you are under 18. I had a controlling abusive boyfriend who often made me have sex unwillingly, and didn't use protection, he knew the consequenses and i think for guys they dont care because they arent the ones who get ';stuck'; they can walk away at anytime.





Please don't bash young girls, i dont agree with teen pregnancy, i had some friends who had babies, and gave them up, or got them taken away...my son has been my life from day one and i changed my ways when i had him, now i am married and have another child and i couldnt be happier with how my life turned out...not every teen mom is horrible..its just a really bad stereotype.
My personal opinion is that we are not educating our kids about sex and the risks, not just pregnancy but STDs too. Parents expect the schools to do it and schools expect the parents to do it when in reality it should be a combination of both. Schools where I live do not have sex education classes any more. They get ';health'; in 7th grade which they spend 2 of the 3 months talking about smoking, drugs and alcohol (which I agree is important too) and 2 weeks on diet/fitness and 1-2 weeks on the reproduction system and puberty. NO WHERE in the curriculum do they discuss sex, STDs or pregnancy. This is the only health class that is required here ever! Therefore its my job as a parent to teach about sex and protection. So many people feel (whether they are uncomfortable talking with their kids about it or just saying my kids will never do that) that if they preach abstinance then they are doing their ';job';. We do preach abstinance at home BUT I'm not so naive that I don't remember what it is like to be a teenager with raging hormones so I have taught my older kids about condoms and the pill to protect against both STDs and pregnancy. My kids have come to me and asked numerous questions in the past and I always keep an open dialog with them. Now all I can do is hope and pray that they will come to me when they feel like they want to have sex. They also know about planned parenthood and other clinics in the area that they can go without me if they would feel more comfortable.





Thats my 2 cents anyway :)
1 word ';hormones'; lol
i think for allot of teens they are so scared that there parents are going to find out they are having sex and be mad at them that they put there safety second. my mother is the nurse at the high school and is absolutely forbidden to tell these kids that they can go to the health department and get bags of free condoms and be put ion the pill absolutely free of charge. and that no one is going to tell there parents. i cant tell you how many girls she has to page to come down to the clinic because she herd they were pregnant. how many girls she has had to call there parent on the phone because the child took a pregnancy test in school and now has to tell there parents they are pregnant and are scared to do it in person. or how many girls enter high school with a baby in the ecc daycare program. all she can tel them is don't do it. the teachers and staff need to be able to tell the kids what is out there to help them as sad as it is it is all there they just don't know how to get to it!! i personally plan to when my son is 13 (he is 2 now thank goodness) give him a bag of condoms and a lesson on how to use them. ok we ll maybe my hubby will do it but still. i certainly don't want him to have sex at 13 but like my hubby says its like wearing a seat belt. when you get in the car and put on your seat belt you aren't planning to get into an accident but if you do its there!
Well can i just say here in Australia im sure its for the money im not sure what its like were you guys live but here when you have your baby its worth $4133 until 1'st july 2008 then its $5000 and doubled for twins 3x for triplets etc etc.


For a teenager with no big outlays it looks like a great way to get some cash but for most of us myslef included (im 17 weeks pregnant with number 3 this money wasnt available with my 1st 2)


I will need to use some of this money to pay for me to take time off work after bubs is born where the teenagers live off the government already.
i agree with ';mommie2be';





and our hormones are there for a reason. god wouldnt give us hormones at such a young age and expect us to not feel urged to have sex. i dont think its a good thing that so many babies are born to young mom's who have a hard time supporting them. but its going to happen no matter what all the time. and just because when you were a teenager you had an easier time getting birth control pills and believed in them doesnt mean everyone does.


for me...i dont like the idea at all of putting a pill with chemicals into my body everyday..just so that i can have sex a few times every month or not even every month. i would much rather use a condom. unfortunately theres alot of mothers including mine who flip out when they hear that their daughters are having sex which makes it hard for us to go and ask them to get us condoms or pills..and its not always easy for us to go and buy them on our own..mostly because of the fear of our parents finding them.





i didnt want to tell my mom because i knew she would try to force me to stop seeing my boyfriend. and im sure thats what happens with a bunch of other girls too. (i dont really understnad why my mom wouldnt understand though since she was having sex earlier than i started). but thats just the way things are..and unless you are going to do something to help girls out in these situations then i dont find the point of you ranting about this..since this is a site for people to ask for help and answers.


and sexually active teenagers need that help and advice more than anyone else. so you should expect it.





hopefully you will do something to help us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment