Thursday, July 29, 2010

How do you feel your childhood/teenage years might have been different with a website like this one available?

childhood : would have missed out playing by the creek, woods, climbing trees, exploring near and far, rounders , hide and seek, hopscotch, skipping,running on the beach getting home with new grazes on the knees on a regular basis ......ever wonder why kids used to be more healthy ?


teenage : would have loved it, but spent more time sitting on the fence with girlfriends talking about boys , thats right talking about boys ,none of us went on dates till we were 16 .How do you feel your childhood/teenage years might have been different with a website like this one available?
For one thing, it wouldn't have been possible to brainwash me into believing that no one else is the world was like, that I had to get in step or else. But the world then was different than now, so the lack of acceptance would have been the same, the pressure to ';not be gay'; would still have been there.





There is good and bad in the cybersphere. The good being the democratization of the globe and the undermining of authoritarianism. The bad is both in peoples' unwillingness to treat others' experiences and views with respect and in their being too willing to believe whatever they read on-line without questioning the source.





Like everything else, it's all still a work in progress.How do you feel your childhood/teenage years might have been different with a website like this one available?
This one? Meaning Yahoo or Answers or Seniors? Well, the Internet would have to had been in existence. Of course it was not. But theoretically, it really makes no difference.





No I don't agree. Children have become more isolated, even within their own families. The Internet and cell phones contribute immensely. Social contact in youth is very important to adult development. Yes, the information network is important. However, in reality the computer is used for recreation more often in the family than what it was intended. The Internet is used more for many other things negative than positive.





The majority of youth can not even formulate a question nor write properly. That's a perfect example of the failure of the Internet. In a large spectrum of the web ignorance is enhanced and tolerated. Including Yahoo Answers.
When I was a teenager we would have never had time for a computer or a website. We had work to do every day after school. Cut and carry wood for the furnace, Get in two or three buckets of coal for the furnace. Pealing potatoes for the nights meal. Doing laundry of our dainties. Homework from school. Summer it was a 5 acre garden to keep weeded and fall, harvest that garden. Work in the fields picking up potatoes and string beans. Boxes of strawberries by the hundreds. Going to church on Sunday.
Would have loved a website like this but I would have been sleep deprived to use it. I was involved in everything so time to use it would have been a factor. I love the fact that people from all over the world connect on here, hopefully that makes us all think a little more globally.
I feel that they may have been a lot better because I would have seen others with similar or worse problems and not felt so alone.


Or on the other hand, being young and naive and very impulsive it's probably best that I didn't have the computer back then. I got into enough trouble as it was! LOL
I probably wouldn't have spent much time on the computer unless it was a rainy/snowy day. I loved being outside in the sunshine %26amp; fresh air, playing with my friends, doing what kids did back then. As a teen, I probably wouldn't have spent that much time on the computer either, because I was very active during those years %26amp; no moss grew under my feet.
I think it would have been better, hopefully someone on here would have told me that there was nothing wrong with me and that my mother was mentally ill and normal mothers dont act like that. I would have probably met others with abusive parents and realized it wasnt just me.
Well - I guess I would be like the kids of today and be having fun on My Space.





Life as I know it would have passed me by and I would have missed out on all the simple fun things, that made me who I am today.





Heck - maybe I wouldn't have found the time to get married.loll


DeeJay.
I would not have lived as long as I have. . . My mother would have killed me for being on here so much ! I heard today that the average teen spends 2 hours a day on the internet, and I laughed ! I hope they do not run that test on seniors, I would definitely flunk !!!!!
I would have flunked out of high school, taken to drink, and become a bum. Thank you, for not having Yahoo! Answers 45 years ago. I'm a better person for its absence when I was a teen.
I would have missed a great deal of good things that these kids today know nothing about.
I never had time to sit at a computer and look at a site like this..


I did what most kids did then played outside with balls..ropes..bikes
I'd have two sets of bullies to deal with: real ones and their cyber cousins.
Worse

No comments:

Post a Comment